Listed Building: The Gatehouse (1371733)
Please read our guidance page about heritage designations.
Grade | II |
---|---|
NHLE UID | 1371733 |
Date assigned | 09 June 1970 |
Date last amended |
Description
Gatehouse and parish hall, now house. Datestone 1870. Probably by E.F. Law for William Mackworth-Dolben. Squared coursed ironstone with fishscale tile roof. Originally probably one-unit hall plan. One storey with attic. 2-window range of 7-light stone mullion windows. C19 plank door has moulded stone surround. Moulded stone cornice and flat topped C20 roof dormer. Ashlar gable parapets and stone stacks at ends. Inscription along cornice, "Bear ye one anothers burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ". Right gable has datestone and moulded stone roundel with initials "V.R." Arch head niches above and 4 similar roundels below. C20 extension to rear. Interior not inspected. (Finedon Otherwise Thingdon by J.L.H. Bailey, p.131).
Location
Grid reference | Centred SP 9115 7209 (17m by 16m) |
---|---|
Civil Parish | FINEDON, North Northamptonshire (formerly Wellingborough District) |
External Links (1)
- https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1371733 (Link to NHLE record on Historic England website)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Record last edited
Jul 19 2022 4:23PM