Building record 291/3/1 - The Old Rectory and Parish House
Please read our guidance about the use of Northamptonshire Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
17th century rectory, extended and altered in the 19th century then further altered and subdivided into two dwellings in the mid-20th century.
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
{1}[Former list description] House. C17, remodelled early C19. Squared coursed limestone, ironstone quoins artificial stone slate roof, stone stacks. 2 storeys with attic and cellars; 3 bays. 2-light stone mullioned cellar windows (blocked) to left and right of entrance. Central doorway with rectangular fanlight and C20 door. C20 wooden porch, approached by flight of 7 steps with C19 iron balustrade. Sash windows with side lights with plate glass glazing on either side entrance, similar windows with original glazing bars to left and right on first floor. Plain sash windows in centre. Coped gable ends on kneelers. Interior not inspected.
{3} Undated photo;
{4} List Entry Description
Summary of Building
17th century rectory, extended and altered in the 19th century then further altered and subdivided into two dwellings in the mid-20th century.
Reasons for Designation
The Old Rectory and Parish House are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Architectural interest:
* the former rectory retains a good level of C17 fabric including stone-mullioned windows on the principal elevation, inglenook fireplace and timber framing between the bays;
* parts of a C17 splat baluster stair survive at attic level and other elements of it have re-sited within the late C19 north extension;
* the plan form of the buildings is legible with the two-cell C17 range and a mix of formal and service rooms
in the late C19 extension;
* the interior of the late C19 extension retains fixtures and joinery which indicate the functions of the rooms and helps demonstrate how the building was used by its inhabitants.
Historic interest:
* as a former C17 rectory, extended and improved in the late-C19; demonstrating the rector's social status within the village.
History
A dwelling in the location of the building now known as The Old Rectory is recorded on the tithe map of 1845. The tithe apportionment lists the building as ‘Rectory, House, Garden and Buildings’ with the occupier recorded as The Reverend Thomas Henry Manning. The rectory would have served the church of St Peter, located approximately 70m to the north-east. From the evidence including the chamfered stone mullioned windows, the former rectory is likely to date to the C17. Between the publication of the 1884 and 1900 Ordnance Survey maps, the rectory was extended by addition of a range to its north side, the enlarged building having a roughly square plan. This extension provided additional reception rooms, bedrooms and service rooms. As part of these alterations, the majority of the C17 splat baluster stair was relocated into the new range, with a smaller section retained on the upper floor of the earlier building.
Conveyancing documents show that the house was divided into two dwellings between 1953 and 1955 with the C19 wing becoming known as Parish House. Other alterations were made in the C20 including the installation of timber porches to both dwellings and the erection of a lean-to garden room on the north elevation of Parish House.
Details
THE OLD RECTORY
MATERIALS: constructed of limestone with ironstone dressings, some areas of timber framing. Artificial slate roof.
EXTERIOR: A linear plan with the principal, south, elevation of three bays and two principal storeys above a basement with the entrance in the middle bay above a flight of seven steps and under a C20 canopy supported by timber posts. The steps have a C19 wrought iron wreathed handrail and balusters. To either side, at basement level, are two earlier C17 chamfered stone mullioned windows which are partly subterranean and are now partially blocked. At ground floor, either side, is a window opening under a stone lintel, with horned, single-plate sashes with side lights. At first floor, the window openings match these but retain their glazing bars with central sashes of six over six and the side lights of one over one. Above the entrance is a horned, six over six sash window. At attic level are two dormer windows. At each end of the gabled roof are stone chimneystacks. The gables have stone kneelers supporting coped verges.
The east elevation is blind with the exception of a blocked C17 window at attic level. The window has a stone architrave and projecting hood mould above. The west gable end features small openings at ground and first floor with C20 timber casements. There is a plank timber door to access the basement.
INTERIOR: two principal rooms on the ground and upper floors west and east of a central hall. The west room on the ground floor has a large inglenook fireplace on the west wall, with large timber bressummer. The east room has deep skirting boards and an arched niche within the north wall. Boxed-in beams run west to east across the ground floor. The stair is at the centre of the plan and has a mid-C20 timber rail between ground and first floor but a section of the C17 splat baluster stair survives between the first and second floors.
On the first and second floors timber framing is visible between the bays with exposed purlins running at attic level. The first-floor east room has a chamfered ceiling beam. In the west room, a blocked doorway (now a cupboard) and step remain visible, which would have accessed the late C19 north extension.
At attic level, a C19 fireplace survives at the east end, with cast iron grate. The building’s timber trusses with trenched purlins are visible between the rooms.
PARISH HOUSE
MATERIALS: brick, with ironstone dressings but the east elevation limestone to match the earlier dwelling.
Slate roof.
PLAN: roughly square, the principal entrance now on the north elevation.
EXTERIOR: the range is under a hipped slate roof and has two brick stacks to either side of the roof ridge. The north elevation, in English Garden Wall bond, has the principal entrance, off-centre under an ironstone lintel. Either side at ground floor is a timber, horned sash window with slim glazing bars. Above are three further openings with horned sashes, the east end window is two over two with the others being one over one.
The west elevation to the north end has a large window opening at ground floor under an ironstone segmental arch, containing a timber sash of two over two with side lights. To the south are timber glazed doors. At first floor there are two further openings under ironstone lintels, both windows are two over two horned sashes.
INTERIOR: the ground floor has three principal rooms, with a hall at the centre of the plan containing the re-sited C17 open-well splat baluster stair. The room at the south-west corner has some surviving skirting and panelled timber shutters to the doors to the garden. A six-panelled door west of the fireplace (the surround of which has been removed) leads into the room to the north-west which has panelled timber shutters to the window on both the west and north walls with further panelling beneath the glazing and a moulded architrave. The fireplace in this room has been altered in the C20 and has some tiling; the surround has been removed. At the east end of the ground floor are the former kitchen and service spaces. Panelled doors and joinery survive throughout the ground floor, with plainer, four panelled doors within the functional
spaces to the east.
The stair leads to a large landing at first floor, lit by a lantern with C20 glazing, giving access to four bedrooms. The largest, to the south-east, retains a cast iron fireplace, with timber surround. A door within the north wall leads to a smaller north-east room. The two bedrooms west of the landing have cast iron late-C19 fireplaces. Doors all have six panels, with plainer sides without moulding facing into the service areas of the house. C19 skirting boards and architraves are in situ within the landing and three smaller bedrooms, some sections survive in the largest room. At the north end of the landing, beneath a tall moulded arched opening, is a cloakroom, with adjacent bathroom to the west.
<1> Clews Architects, 1980s, Database for Listing of Historic Buildings of Special Architectural Interest: Northamptonshire, 10/101 (checked) (Digital archive). SNN102353.
<2> List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest ("Greenback"), F01 (unchecked) (Catalogue). SNN45262.
<3> Photographs of buildings in Greatworth (Photographs). SNN112585.
<4> Historic England, 2026, Case Name: Parish House & The Old Rectory, As amended 13/07/26 (Designation Advice Report). SNN117146.
Sources/Archives (4)
- <1> SNN102353 Digital archive: Clews Architects. 1980s. Database for Listing of Historic Buildings of Special Architectural Interest: Northamptonshire. h:heritage\smr\historic buildings database. historic.mdb. Clews Architects. 10/101 (checked).
- <2> SNN45262 Catalogue: List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest ("Greenback"). South Northants.District. Dept. of Environment. F01 (unchecked).
- <3> SNN112585 Photographs: Photographs of buildings in Greatworth.
- <4> SNN117146 Designation Advice Report: Historic England. 2026. Case Name: Parish House & The Old Rectory. 13th July 2026. 1371826. Historic England. As amended 13/07/26.
Finds (0)
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Location
| Grid reference | Centred SP 5516 4232 (17m by 20m) Central |
|---|---|
| Civil Parish | GREATWORTH |
| Unitary Authority | West Northamptonshire |
Protected Status/Designation
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Record last edited
Jul 23 2026 2:13PM